It’s been awhile since I’ve posted an update, so here are some screenshots of the current progress. Keep in mind it’s all still a work in progress so things will most likely change. The low angle shots are when the game is paused and some skills that allow you to stop/slow time will also zoom in like that.
New Main menu screen showing the aliens invading earth:
Character selection screen:
Forest area with snow:
Desert area (bring it on):
Blowing up a barn and tractor and stat assignment screen:
We just got greenlit! Thanks for all the votes 🙂
Added a steam greenlight page, if you’d like to see the full game on steam vote for us at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=320717420
Minor update to the game:
- Added links to the startup screen (including the greenlight page)
- Added emissive voxels (currently only in the UFO)
There has been an update to Critical Annihilation to fix some minor issues:
- Fixed paint mode with rifles, now paints on hit again
- Fixed physics sensitivity, bullet casings and chairs don’t sink into ground anymore.
- Minor voxel shader optimization
- Added Depth Of Field option back to video settings (was accidentally removed)
- Added option to controls to disable mouse follow on the camera.
Critical Mass has been renamed to Critical Annihilation to avoid confusion with the other game named Critical Mass on steam.
A new engine test featuring the new shattering has been uploaded to
The previous version will stay up as well for now until the current one is completely stable.
- Fixed rifle aim, will now aim at center mass when cursor on target
- Added explosion effects
- Added napalm to AC-130 ammo
- Added shatter physics (can be turned off in options)
- Added floating voxel detection (no more floating trees)
- Added noise effect (disabled by default)
- Added vignetting effect (disabled by default)
- Added slight mouse follow to camera
- Better & faster SSAO, Bloom and Particle physics
- More light effects
Very short video testing out some of the new effects, still a work in progress..
Here are some of the new real-time shattering methods in the engine..
Blowing up rocks now shatters them using voronoi cells.
New tree/wood destruction, shatters into splinters again using voronoi cells which are extended in the direction of the wood seams.
Same effect as the rocks on the UFO walls
There’ll probably be some more shatter effects coming soon. I’ll also post a small game play video showing some of these this weekend.
Voxels have lighting properties now, this makes it possible to set up lights in the walls and floors as well as global lighting. They can also emit shadows but that’s a bit heavy on the graphics card so won’t be used to much.
Since we had Michael Bay mostly covered with all the explosions there are now also Anomorphic lens effects to get some JJ Abrams in there 😉
I’ve also been working on a map editor to be able to create some more interesting indoor maps. The above screenshot is a very simple example, it doesn’t have any props yet but shows off all the new effects and lights.
Everyone is fully armed now 🙂
Finally got around to fixing the animations for shooting for the rifle and strafing. Although the strafing still looks a bit awkward.
To make the world a bit more interesting there’s also object physics now. It’s only the chairs at the moment, but the idea is that the engine will transform shot off parts into physics objects. Still trying to figure out how to implement that and keep performance at a decent level 😉
Updated version of Critical Mass containing these changes is up at Kongregate. Will post it to Game Jolt as well once I get both leader boards working together without having to rebuild everything.